TEXAS RV PARKS AND CAMPGROUNDS – ACCESSIBLE
- OASIS RV RESORT – Under new ownership as of October 2012. Very nicely appointed accessible RV park. Sites are long, wide and concrete. Our first visit to this park, we were able to maneuver the wheelchair with ease. Excellent paved interior roads and ease of access to all amenities. They have a number of bathrooms and laundry facilities dispersed throughout the park. Most sites meet the 20′ accessibility standard for RV site width with a firm and stable substrate. it is recommended to designate and set aside, at least 6 “accessible” specific sites dispersed throughout the park. These sites should be marked on their park map and on their website, although not necessary to mark at the park site. Prospective customers just need to know they are available before arriving with expectations. This is a highly accessible park with good ramp access to all the amenities.
- LA HACIENDA RV RESORT – Very nice accessible park with paved sites and paved interior roads. Facilities are fairly accessible. Recommendation: 1) designate at least 4 “accessible” specific sites near facilities with some dispersion and 2) add flexible adjustable shower head and a portable bench. Our site was well positioned to our satisfaction for use of wheelchair and electric scooter.
- ADVANCED RV RESORT– PEARLAND/HOUSTON – Nice facility for disabled travelers. Our site was well positioned for ease of access to all facilities, i.e. clubhouse, bathrooms, showers, laundry, and outdoor grilling area. Ramps provide ease of access for either wheelchairs or electric scooters. Doors are power assist. Don’t really have “designated” accessible sites. Recommendation: Set aside at least 3 “accessible” specific sites and do not assign to non-disabled guests to assure availability for drive-ins without reservation.
- ALLSTAR RV RESORT – Fairly new facility that is fully accessible for the disabled guest. Interior roads and sites are paved, providing easy accessibility. Our site was located away from the amenities. Recommendation: Set aside at least 3 “accessible” specific sites and do not assign to non-disabled guests to assure availability for drive-ins without reservation.
- LAKEVIEW RV RESORT – Sister park of AllStar RV Resort. Similar amenities and same type interior roads and sites, being all paved. Newer than sister park with added areas for all guests to sit around the lake area and fish or just relax. Recommendation: Set aside at least 3 “accessible” specific sites and do not assign to non-disabled guests to assure availability for drive-ins without reservation.
- BUCKHORN LAKE RESORT – Very nice resort with all the amenities for RVers with disabilities. Interior roads and sites are paved for easy accessibility for either wheelchair or scooter. We have been assigned different sites at different times and each time our site was acceptable for accessibility. Recommendation: Set aside at least 4 “accessible” specific sites. Most clientele are older and fewer with families.
- GUADALUPE RIVER RV RESORT – Very old large park along the river. Owners have added to the park over the years and made improvements along the way. Facility is easily accessible for the camper with limited mobility. All amenities are accessible. Only need a few upgrades. Recommendation: Install adjustable shower assembly and shower bench, and set aside at least 3 “accessible” specific sites near facilities and amenities with some dispersion.
- DONLEY COUNTY ROUTE 66 SAFETY REST AREA – This rest area is on I-40 Eastbound at MM 129 near Alanreed, TX. Texas DOT has done a nice job making this rest area fully accessible with paved access routes, accessible picnic tables and grills, automatic doors to enter and exit the building, access ramps, accessible playground, water fountains, and good signage. Curb cuts are present on the auto side of the rest area, but need to be added to the truck/rv parking side of the rest area. This is the only drawback.
Our organization operates strictly from donations and grants. If you want to support our mission, you can make a donation simply by going to the Donate page.