OKLAHOMA RV PARKS AND CAMPGROUNDS – ACCESSIBLE
OKLAHOMA CITY AREA
- TWIN FOUNTAINS RV RESORT –Very nicely appointed somewhat accessible RV park. Sites vary in length and most are sufficiently wide enough although not ADA compliant. Most sites are concrete except for the West and East end of the park. Check in is somewhat accommodating with a ramp and most all amenities are wheelchair accessible. This is an accessible park with sites they label accessible. The two dedicated accessible sites need better access from site to office without having to get into the deep grass. We were able to maneuver a wheelchair with ease as long as we stayed on paved surfaces. The park is large enough to justify an electric scooter, which I did use to ride around the park. They also rent bicycles for exercise if your disability does not impair bike riding ability. The restrooms are partially accessible with roll-in showers. The exercise area has a difficult threshold to access with a wheelchair. If you park your RV near the edge of the paved site, you may be able to access the interior roads without having to cross over grassy areas. They are located near the intersection of I-44 and I-35 near Remington Park, the OKC Zoo, the Softball Hall of Fame and the Western Heritage Center.
- ROADRUNNER RV PARK – All interior roads are asphalt and 80 RV sites are concrete pads. Most sites are level and long but the width of the sites are very limited for accessibility to maneuver around your rig. Amenities are all accessible for wheelchair access. Well maintained park with easy check in. Easy access around the park with a wheelchair. They also have a storm shelter, considering the park is located in tornado alley. Amenities include free WiFi, laundry, bathrooms and showers. Have pull through, back in and pull in sites. They are located along I-35 approximately 10 minutes from downtown OKC and 10 minutes from Moore between SE 48th Street and SE 51st Street.
- FIRELAKE GRAND CASINO – Just off I-40 at MM 178, this relatively new Casino has RV parking with 30/50-amp service and water, along with an accessible dump station. First 3 nights are free and all sites back up to trees and a small creek. Asphalt paved sites provide good accessibility. There is a shuttle that will pick you up and take you to the casino. The shuttle also has a wheelchair lift for those of us who need such an accommodation. The RV sites are designed for self-contained RVs as the only bathrooms are in the casino. We were pleasantly surprised to see how easy the sites are to access and how user friendly the casino is for people with limited mobility.
- HEART OF OKLAHOMA EXPO CENTER – This is a very accessible multi-use facility for which the RVing industry and community would be well suited to utilize. Recent improvements include paved RV parking areas with 30/50 amp hookups, including water and sewer. The accessible RV parking is in close proximity to the main building for visiting exhibits. RV parking islands have curb cuts to enter and exit the island for easy access to the main facility. There are additional sites in gravel, grass and dirt areas that are not conducive for wheelchair use, and as such are not considered accessible. The main building amenities are accessible. Individuals will need to check with the main office regarding overnight private parking. They do have a published overnight rate for last year for $15. We would not hesitate to return to this multi-use facility for RV overnight parking. The Center is centrally located just off I-40 and near shopping, restaurants and several casinos for shows and entertainment.
- BUFFALO BOB’S RV PARK – Located just southeast of Lawton, this RV park is well appointed with concrete interior roads and concrete RV pads. Very few shade trees. All amenities are accessible including a roll in shower and bathrooms. The recreation center is also wheelchair accessible as is the storm shelter. They have a limited number of pull through sites and the remainder are back in sites. Area is fenced for privacy.
- NATURAL FALLS STATE PARK – This campground, located near the Oklahoma/Arkansas border in the scenic Ozark Highlands region of northeast Oklahoma, has several accessible sites plus a couple of paved trails. The campsites are paved with the concrete extending under the table ,under the grill and around the hookups. The table is concrete with one bench removed to allow access to an entire side of the table. A paved path leads to the restrooms which has an accessible shower with a fold down bench. The exterior door is a little heavy. A short paved loop trail is located in a grassy field just behind the campsites. Another paved trail leads to the waterfall overlook.This trail has a long downgrade and most wheelchair users will need to have help on the return trip. If you don’t want to try the trail you can drive and park to take a short trail to the overlook. The trail also has a section of boardwalk which goes up to bridge for higher view. The falls was more of a drip… All of the campsites are paved and roomy with a good spacing between them and lots of mature trees. A few, including the accessible sites, have full hookups. Anyone with a total disability gets a 50% discount off of the base rate of the campsite. State residency isn’t required for the discount.
- CHOCTAW RV PARK – This campground, located in Southern Oklahoma is affiliated with KOA yet rests on the Choctaw Nation sovereign land. While exempt from federal regulations, they have really tried to do the right thing. All 77 sites are pull-thrus and concrete paved, although there is no site that is 20′ wide. Each site has a patio with a table and umbrella. The park bathrooms and showers are fully accessible. Plans are in place for a portable pool lift. This is one of the most accessible parks we have visited over the past 4 years. The manager, Charlie, is very knowledgeable about accessibility and very helpful. The park is located adjacent to the Choctaw Casino Resort. Shuttle service is available. We highly recommend visiting this park. Our only recommendation is to designate 3 sites as accessible by providing the required 20′ wide concrete pad. 800-562-6073
Our organization operates strictly from donations and grants. If you want to support our mission, you can make a donation simply by going to the Donate page.